Crockpot Challenge:

I got this recipe by Sandra Lee out of her slow cooker recipes cookbook (which I'm really looking forward to using more). She lists specific brands to purchase, but I didn't follow that - and it consider this meal a success.

California Black Bean Chili:
Ingredients for California Black Bean Chili

1-1/4 lbs. ground turkey
2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained
1 can (7-ounce) diced green chiles
1 can (14-ounce) diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1 can (8-ounce) tomato sauce
3 cups diced zucchini (I omitted since Daniel is not a fan.)
1 cup frozen chopped onions (WOW! I loved not having to chop onions.)
1 packet chili seasoning mix (Chose to use a Tex Mex mix, you know since my hubby is from TX.)
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. crushed garlic (Here I did listen, Christopher Ranch - good stuff.)
Salt and pepper
Diced avocado or guacamole, for garnish (I did the diced - Don't skip it, it really makes this recipe.)

Directions:

In a large skillet, brown ground turkey, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper. Drain and transfer to a 4-quart (I used a 5-quart.) slow cooker.

Add remaining ingredients*, except avocado, to slow cooker. Stir thoroughly.

Cover and cook on high setting for 4 to 6 hours.

California Black Bean Chili

Serve hot with avocado garnish**. (I added a dollop of sour cream and some cheese, because that's how we roll - and also to neutralize the heat a tad.)


Makes 6 servings - Enjoy!

* - I chose to add my favorite black bean and corn salsa to this and I think it added to the overall flavor. I know not everyone is a corn fan, but I do recommend adding something extra to this recipe, just for kicks.
** - Beer optional.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sick

Let Them Be

A Story...