Supply & Demand

Last Tuesday I purchased a great big bag of Halloween candy. It was the good kind: Reese's Peanut Butter cups, Hershey's bars, Mounds, Milk Duds. It stayed sealed for about 24 hours while it was in our home, and then the baby in my belly told me I needed to rip it open and have some. Just a few, I told myself - nothing that would make a big difference in our supply. But my demand was very, very high and the candy tasted so good... so I kept going and going and going.

What's kind of funny about this is generally speaking, I'm not a candy person. I'm not a sweets person, really. Sure, I'll partake in a dessert now and then but my snack of choice is generally spicy or salty or both. I'm all over potato chips and dip and nachos with extra jalapenos. If given the opportunity I would go carb wild if it weren't for the gestational diabetes. Well, actually I did sort of go carb wild with the candy. It was a moment of weakness.

And I felt really bad about it and pretty much refrained from over the top candy eating on Thursday and Friday. But I worried that the precious little angel* neighborhood kids would not have enough candy when they came trick-or-treating Friday night so I got Daniel to buy some more candy. Daniel grabbed a two pound bag of candy to supplement our depleted supply.

And then Friday night came along and we spent most of the evening with friends, giving candy to their neighborhood kids while our candy was sitting safely inside our house. When we got home around 8:30, we realized that we'd left the candy on our entrance table within view of all the trick-or-treaters. I felt bad for a second, until I realized I'd had us buy so much candy because I was afraid the kids across the street were gong to pull another prank if they didn't like the candy we'd purchased.

We ended up not having a single kid come to our house while we were home and as I write this I'm feeling a little bad about that. But I'm also slightly amused by the plethora of candy we now have in our house that I'm no longer craving - at all.

* - Um, this is sarcasm. My neighborhood kids are not precious, little, or angelic. Hellions, they are!

P.S - It looks like I might participate in NaBloPoMo this year. Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sick

Let Them Be

A Story...