The Great Debate

When Daniel and I moved into our first apartment together (about four and a half years ago) we decided we didn't want to have cable any more. We talked about it and decided we wasted too much time watching shows we didn't really want to watch because they were readily available. We felt like we'd become slaves to our television and were burnt out on all the reality shows and crappy commercials. We resolved to just rent or buy DVD's of the shows we were interested in. We enjoyed not having to wait a week to see the next episode of Alias or whatever.

But I felt like I missed out getting to see the Kerry/Bush debates in 2004.

And I've missed the last five years of award season.

I also missed the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens. And the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino.

I've missed all of it and I don't want to miss anymore.

I want to follow the current election. I want to see the candidates faces when they debate. I want to watch the opening ceremony for the Summer Olympics in Beijing. I want to see what all the famous people are wearing on the red carpet and see if my predictions for who wins an Oscar are correct. I want to watch CNN. I want to feel like I'm in the loop.

But Daniel doesn't. He's happy watching our DVD's and streaming video. He's content with being connected through the internet and NPR. He doesn't feel like we're missing out - he feels better not having cable in our lives.

This may be our first disagreement - ever. I wonder who will get through to whom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Them Be

Sick

A Story...