Date Night

Daniel and I have it good - really good. We have some very special friends here who in addition to renting us a beautiful home, they also have become our extended family. These people are who we entrust Zoe's care to when I need a break or when Daniel and I feel like we need a break together. I am so thankful for them and am quite aware that this pregnancy would be so much harder if we didn't have them to lean on for support.

So last night we dropped Zoe off and Daniel and I ventured out for a nice dinner at P.F. Chang's. We had a leisurely dinner that included a calamari appetizer, crispy honey shrimp, and banana spring rolls... oh, my goodness - BANANA Spring Rolls... with coconut pineapple ice cream and caramel sauce! Heaven! We talked about living in Bakersfield, about Zoe, about how excited we were for our son to arrive. We flirted and beamed at each other, laughed, and we people watched. We made fun of our server who might have been the worst server ev-ar - he made a huge deal about me asking for spoons for our dessert. "I don't know if we have spoons." Seriously? Should we use the chopsticks or the fork to eat our ice cream? You were lame, Mr. Server. But my husband is so awesome that you did not ruin my dinner. We got our spoons, don't worry. It was a lovely meal.

And then instead of rushing off to see a movie and spend another $20, we went to Borders and just walked around. We looked at books, listened to Cd's, held hands and talked. We focused on each other. We got coffee and flipped through a cooking magazine and then we headed home where we spent some time on our computers... and used video ichat. Daniel sat at the kitchen table working on writing ideas and I checked email on our couch ten feet away, and we each had chat windows up so we could still see each other and flirt. We are geeks, but it was us and it was perfect. So perfect, in fact, that I think I prefer this type of date to a movie night.

I realize that Daniel and I are extremely lucky. We get more date nights and see more movies than most parents of toddlers. We have been given so many gifts - each other, a beautiful daughter, a son on the way, and friends and family who love and support all of us. Getting the opportunity to take time for us is one of the things that keeps me - both of us, I think - refreshed, sane, and ready to face the hard days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sick

Let Them Be

A Story...