This Is What I Do

Sometimes I struggle with it...not feeling completely appreciated for all my time and effort. I don't earn a lot of money doing it. I take a lot of time going over my photos: editing, choosing, getting rid of the not so flattering shots, making publicity boards. Sometimes I don't get credit when people post the images on their myspace pages but I don't call them on it. I just keep plugging away and I never turn down the opportunity to take more pictures even if I'm sometimes tempted to do so. Really, when it all comes down to it...taking the photos and spending my time doing what I love is worth it all.

Zoe doesn't know what she's in for: pictures all the time! For now, the theatre* keeps me busy:

HSM Collage


(Photography by Keely Emery - click collage to view 65 photos from the show)


High School Musical
at THE SPOTLIGHT THEATER
Book By: David Simpatico
Songs by: Matthew Gerrard, Robbie Nevil, Ray Cham, Greg Cham, Andrew Seeley, Randy Petersen, Kevin Quinn, Andy Dodd, Adam Watts, Bryan Louiselle, David N. Lawrence, Faye Greenberg and Jamie Houston
Music Adapted, Arranged and Produced by: Bryan Louiselle
Based on a Disney Channel Original Movie written by: Peter Barsocchini
Directed by Justin L. Brooks

Friday and Saturday at 8pm, Sunday at 2pm

Disney Channel's smash hit movie musical comes to life on the Spotlight stage!

High School Musical is the Disney sensation that has swept the nation and now it comes to the Spotlight Theatre this January! It is the story of Troy Bolton (Zach Sanders) and Gabriella Montez (Katie Aquino). Troy, the basketball star, and Gabriella, the new girl, decide to audition for the school musical and to everyone's surprise, they get a call back. Well, this will not do for Sharpay and Ryan Evans (Haley Sullivan, Miguel Torres) the stars of every school production. To see what ensues you need to come check out the amazing production of High School Musical directed by Justin L. Brooks who directed FAME for the Spotlight Theatre last year and choreographed by Marvin Ramey of the Dance Stop!
This is fun for the entire family!

Tickets for this event are $18 for general admission, $15 for students, seniors, and active military.

Save $3 by getting your tickets a day in advance of the performance!

The Spotlight Theatre is located at 1622 19th Street, downtown Bakersfield.

Call 661 634 0692 for more information or to make reservations.

On the web at www.spotlighttheatreandcafe.com or www.myspace.com/spotlighttheatre

* Speaking of theatre.... I'd planned on "The Full Monty" being my last acting endeavor until after Zoe was a year or so. Then I decided last minute that I really wanted to audition for the "Vagina Monologues" by Eve Ensler at the theatre down the street from our house. I'd always been too chicken to do it before. I was intimidated by being an outsider. I've become comfortable with only acting at the Spotlight where everything feels familiar. But something changed. It may sound silly, but sometimes I think this pregnancy has made me stronger - more willing to take chances. I feel even more empowered than before.

I went to auditions this afternoon and I think I did pretty well, which sort of surprised me. I wasn't sure I could do it, ( or say vagina over and over again) but it felt good to step out of my comfort zone. It felt good to be reading from a script. It felt good to perform even if it was only for the director. I should find out sometime next week if I got in. The show goes up in March and I'll be 30 weeks pregnant opening weekend. I would love to get to do this, to be a part of what this show represents and does for women. Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Them Be

Sick

A Story...