The Lovely Jen Interviews Me

When Jen posted her last blog offering to interview fellow bloggers, I jumped at the chance. I thought - Cool. Easy blog post. I won't even have to think hard about this. I was ready to share silly things, but Jen got down to business. Jen asked questions I didn't think she would. Jen made me think. Oh, Jen. It was fun. Thanks.

OK, lovely Keely. Here are your five questions:

1. If the government suddenly enacted a one-dog-per-household policy, which dog would you keep and why? (No one said these questions would be fair!)

Yikes. My first instinct is to say Daniel and I would put in for a transfer with his company. Canada (along with other countries) is an option than I’m willing to use if it lets me keep both of my dog children.

If giving one up was unavoidable, I think we’d give Max to my parents. Out of their two “grandchildren”, I’m pretty sure Max is their favorite. They actually have held off from getting another dog just in case we find we can’t handle both dogs and the baby and need to give them Max (they didn’t offer to take Bailey). He’s laid back and relaxed and really, as much as we love him, we know that his main needs in life are food and someone who gives him food frequently. He adores my dad - must be the larger food portions and extra snacks.

In general, Max is more adaptable and low maintenance than Bailey. It takes a lot of patience to deal with her on a daily basis. She’s hyper and neurotic. She gets separation anxiety. She’s a handful, but she’s ours and we know better than anyone how to deal with her and keep her happy. Honestly, I wouldn’t ask anyone to take her knowing how hard she can be to deal with. Giving Max to my parents would still be keeping him in the family and seeing him frequently.

2. What aspect of childbirth are you least looking forward to?

Uncertainty. There’s not a set list of things that I will definitely go through and that is very scary to me. I really just don’t know what to expect despite the internet, books, doctors, friends and family at my disposal with all their information and stories. Every woman is different; there are no guarantees.

This is hard for me since I have strong ideas about how I’d like things to go during labor and delivery. I want her to come naturally rather than be induced. I want to avoid a C-section unless it is absolutely needed (and they are more likely to with inducement). I want to attempt to do the whole process sans pain meds and epidurals. It’s not because I want to be superwoman. I will SO take meds and/or an epidural if I feel the need – I’m just not going into it demanding them. I know this might sound crazy to some of you, but that’s how I feel about that.

If I could write the “script” for this “production”, I would. I’d do my own “stunts”, but on my terms. I’d be in control. When it comes down to it, I think I’m least looking forward to having to give up control and rely on other people to bring Zoe into the world. Oh, and the pooping thing. I know what everyone says and they’re probably right, but I’m not looking forward to pooping in front of everyone. Seriously.

3. Name something Daniel does that drives you crazy (and not the good kind of crazy, like annoying crazy).

Ha. This is a hard one because I feel like I really lucked out with Daniel. I don’t usually let little things bug me, especially when I think he’s pretty much amazing. A year ago my answer would have been that he never turned his dirty socks right side out and I hated sticking my hand in his sweaty socks before I could start the laundry. I eventually told him how nice it would be for me to not have to do this and soon after I noticed I almost never have to deal with that task anymore. It’s awesome. I did not hesitate to tell him that this change was a major turn on for me and it seems that has been incentive for him to continue turning out his socks.

Now, if I can only get him to put new toilet paper ON THE ROLL when he finishes off the old. He gets the new roll out of the drawer and places it inches from where it belongs, but leaves the final step for me. Why? I don’t know. It’s something I’ve learned to just laugh at.

4. What do you like best about Bakersfield (if anything - there must be something good there!)?

There are a lot of things I just really don’t like about Bakersfield, but I am so glad I made the decision to move here five years ago. The best things about Bakersfield are: the theatre community, and the friends I’ve made here. Without Bakersfield and getting involved with theatre, I never would have met and married Daniel and I never would have made the friends who will be hard to leave behind someday. We don’t know what will happen in the next few years with our family, but we do know that Bakersfield is not where we want to stay. It will be hard to be away from the two things that have really made this city a home for us.

5. Name something only your dogs know about you - not even Daniel knows this about you.
Um. I have no idea. I think this has got to be the hardest question I’ve been asked in a while. Errr. OK. The funny thing is, I just read this question out loud to Daniel hoping he could help me figure out something. Truth is, I don’t do anything strange or unusual that I can only do around the dogs. I pretty much do what I want, whomever is around – especially Daniel. Now I feel sort of boring, but it’s the truth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Them Be

Sick

A Story...