Six

Six years ago yesterday I drove into Bakersfield with all of my belongings shoved into my Honda CR-V. I had decided on a whim, really, that I was going to start over here while living with my best friend from high school and a friend of hers. Coincidentally, (or maybe not) that day also happened to be the day that would have been my sixth wedding anniversary if I'd not gotten up the nerve to leave six months prior.

Ooh, see the repeating sixes?* Freaky!

ANYWAY!

Oddly enough, six months later (See! SEE?) I met Daniel and fell truly, madly, deeply in love. In a little less than six months, we will have been a couple for six years.

If I had t choose anywhere in the world to live, Bakersfield would not be at the top of my list, but over the last six years this city has become a home to me and my family. When I drove into this city and unloaded my car, I was lost and scared and really didn't have much direction. I became who I am here. I met my partner, regained my self confidence, made friends, extended my extended family and became a mother here. No matter where our lives take us, a part of me will always be grateful for the time I spent here and - I never thought I'd say this: Bakersfield will always be a special place for me.

*Six might just be my lucky number.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sick

Let Them Be

A Story...