Goodbye, Buffy (the Family Dog, not the Vampire Slayer)

Buffy was my parents dog. They got her as a puppy around the time I moved out of my parents house the first time. We joked that them getting a sweet little puppy was their attempt at getting me to not move out but I don't think that was really the case... even if it is a shame that didn't work. Ha. Not really, truth is those choices are what shaped me into who I am now as a person: a wife, mother, friend, etc.

But that's not what this is about. This is about Buffy.

Buffy smile

Buffy was the 2nd Buffy my parents have had. The first passed away when I was a baby, I think.

Buffy the 2nd seemed to always have a smile on her face. She had big brown eyes that could melt your heart. She was a big girl and we joked affectionately that she was part dog, part cow. Despite her large size, Buffy thought she was a lap dog. Shaking hands soon turned into her throwing both arms around you. Buffy never met a pair of black pants she didn't cover with her long hair and she never met a treat she didn't devour in 5 seconds. When Buffy was really happy she would sort of hop - back paws would stay on the ground, her booty and tail would shake and her front paws would skip up and down. Buffy liked to get as close to her loved ones as possible and she loved giving kisses.

When I moved back into my parents house in 2002, she and I shared the living room floor. She would throw herself down on the ground next to my sleeping bag and arch her head back to "kiss" my nose. I spent quite a few nights curled up next to her sleeping and quite a few morning with her trying to climb IN my sleeping bag WITH me. We used to joke that Buffy was like my kid sister. She loved me and I loved her.

KVB-E & Buffy


Buffy also loved our Nana. And even if she sometimes drove Nana crazy, Nana loved her so much. Buffy liked to stay close to Nana especially when Nana got sick and I know that she felt a true sadness when Nana left us. She was as much Nana's girl as she was my parents.

Buffy didn't like my ex husband, I don't think. She stayed clear of him whenever possible - but she adored Daniel. She liked to sit close to him and looked up at him with so much love. She used to run to me when I walked in the door, but that honor went to Daniel too.

Buffy was intrigued by Zoe as an infant, but Zoe was a little bit intimidated by her. I imagine she looked like a giant. As Zoe grew older she still stayed a little apprehensive, but she always said hello to her and would ask about her and include her in her nightly song about all the people she loves.

Buffy tolerated Bailey and Max. Bailey was pretty much indifferent - if you're not going to play, she has little use for you. But Max, I'm pretty sure Max was in love with Buffy from the moment he met her.

Secrets between friends


My parents had Buffy for 15 years. They got her when our dog Ramsey was getting older and needed a young pup to add a spring to his step. And today... they're going to put her to sleep. She's lost her spring in her step. Her hip creaks and she does not do that hopping thing anymore. She has trouble standing and trouble sitting and trouble laying down. And even though I still see that little puppy when I look in her eyes, she is old and tired and not enjoying her life like she used to.

So, I'm sad. I'm sad for my parents and for me. I'm sad because she was another link to Nana that is leaving us. I'm sad because the last time she was here I did not cuddle with her and give her attention because I was so sick. I'm sad that I'm going to have to explain to Zoe that Buffy isn't going to come visit us anymore and we don't get to visit her - but that she'll be watching over us with my Nana from now on.

Profile of Buffy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Them Be

Sick

A Story...