Reality

My mom loves American Idol. So much so, that when she and my dad came to visit Daniel and I in the hospital on day 2 of my induction, she searched and searched on our television for the channel with her beloved show on it. There I was having contractions (and trying to smile through it) as my mom clicked the remote over and over again. The hospital TV remote was lame and didn’t allow you to input numbers, so those arrows just kept getting pushed. At one point she said, “I just want to hear the song!” And by “the song”, I’m pretty sure she meant the opening music or theme music… and that’s what I call obsession, people.

I, on the other hand, could care less about that show or any reality TV for that matter. I’ve never jumped on that bandwagon. All of those shows annoy the heck out of me and I cannot understand people’s fascination with the genre. I’ve seen tidbits and I’m unimpressed. And no, Mom… I do not want to be a contestant on the show – EVER!

All that said, I discovered The Next Best Thing* on abc.com yesterday. I was sitting on the couch with Zoe while she ate and I couldn’t get up to put a DVD in or grab a book, so I went to their website to see if there was a new episode of Traveler (I really like that show). Since there wasn’t a new episode, I decided to see what this shows spiel was. Three shows later, and I was hooked. I mean, not really hooked. Entertained. I was somewhat entertained watching all those people impersonate stars. Some of them are REALLY good! Ahem.

So I watched last night’s episode this afternoon. They’re in the process of choosing the finalists now and I’ve got to say I don’t know who to root for. Zoe seemed to like the Tina Turner impersonator, but I was sort of partial to Lucy... and the George Bush guy was funny. Um. Yeah. We’ll have to check it out in two weeks. Gah! This is so embarrassing! When I told Daniel about this last night, I could see the disappointment on his face. (Not really. Well, maybe just a little)

*(Mom, I think this show is right up your alley. It might get you through American Idol-less nights.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Them Be

Sick

A Story...