Sick

On Saturday I woke up with awful allergies. Sneezing. Running nose. Coughing. Hell. 

Later that night, I got the surprise that I’d started my period. At nearly 43, it’s still comes as surprise because I don’t expect it to be regular. Because for most of my adult life, it wasn’t. Now that I am done having children, my uterus is as dependable as my children are loud (very). I can also count on at least two days of the most excruciating pain - the kind that makes me walk hunched over and cry like a baby. Lately I’ve been told this isn’t actually normal so I’ll need to go to the doctor about it soon - except my pregnancy with the twins has made me never want to see a gynecologist again. 

I woke up at 2am Sunday with 102 something temperature. We went to the urgent care where they threw Tamiflu and a ZPak at me for my second round of the flu and also because my immune system is such crap.  I’m iga deficient which means I am prone to infections anywhere with a mucosal lining - I know, I’m a catch. 

On Sunday my best friend left town after a week long visit and then the next day, Daniel flew out of town for a work trip. The timing of these two things, though inevitable, totally sucked. 

This morning I woke up with a staph infection under my nose. Seriously. I can’t even talk about it. When I looked in the mirror for the first time  I simultaneously wanted to laugh and cry. But crying makes it worse and it hurts like hell so I just sort of miserably mumbled “blah” to myself.

The medicines are hard on my system, so I also suddenly have a hemorrhoid flare up (because 12 pounds of babies and all that extra fluid and stuff changes you - -forever.) And finally, it seems that my body couldn’t handle all the stress and strong medicine, because now I have a yeast infection. 

All that to say, my sense of humor is done. I am looking for the silver lining and trying to be funny about it all but today, the last four days actually, can fuck right off. 

This is what having a bad immune system is like. Asthma and the flu and infections of anything with a mucosal lining (lungs, sinuses, nose, etc). Apparently, when we are on our period, our immune system suffers - so that we can get pregnant. But when your immune system is already compromised, it’s a bigger deal. It’s not because we have mold in our house. It’s not because we don’t wash our hands or use hand sanitizer enough. It’s because my body literally can’t fight a cold off and it snowballs from there. 

This was supposed to be funny. It was supposed to make me feel better to poke fun at my health. 

That didn’t quite work out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Them Be

A Story...