Closed

Just heard the news that an old favorite restaurant has closed it's doors.....

Daniel and I had our 1st kiss in the Woody's parking lot. We went there after our 1st rehearsal for Commedia del Arte. Surrounded by new theatre friends and trying to figure out how we were going to get to know each other, we both "coincidentally" left at the same time. I guess you could say the rest is history.

In the seven years we've been together, Woody's was a mainstay. It was where we went after rehearsals, auditions and shows. It was where we hung out with new friends and brought our out of town friends and family. It was where Daniel and I pretended to be "just friends" but held hands under the table... and years later brought our 1st baby and then our second.

"Zoe, this used to be your mommy and daddy's favorite place."

We had our favorite servers: Brad & Cathy... the two of them used to fight over who would get our table. We even invited them to our engagement party. But they're long gone now. Last we saw Cathy, it was at the Riverwalk park - she was married and has a toddler. Brad became a manager and then... not sure. There was a sweet guy with dark hair that used to be their bus boy, who we loved...

We had our favorite menu items: Corona, Strawberry Lemonade, Mozzarella Sticks with ranch, potato skins and chicken strips. I liked some mixed drink that I can't remember the name of, but that I suddenly have a taste for. It might have had the word "Cowabunga" in it, but I'm not sure. But it was fruity and strong and sooo good. I used to get the Cajun Chicken Sandwich, until I got one where the chicken was raw.

Woody's was our comfort place. Where we went when I was so, so sick - just so I could feel like I was getting out somewhere. It was where we would order To Go, pick it up and take it back to our little house on Chester Lane when I was too sick even for Woody's but didn't want Chipotle.

The last time we were there - both kids in tow, we said we'd never go back because the food had lost it's luster, the service was no longer what it used to be and the bathrooms were disgusting... but I sort of imagined that we would anyway. Because it was once our "Cheers" and how hard is it to screw up Mozzarella Sticks?

When I told Daniel they'd closed down, he took my hand and said, "They can't tear down our love, honey." It's true... but it's a little bit sad when the places you went to so much as a young, new couple start disappearing. When the family is better, Daniel and I need to hurry up and go to Mama Tosca's and relive the night he proposed before we can't do that anymore either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sick

Let Them Be

A Story...